Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year...almost!

I love Fall. One of the only things I miss about living in the midwest (other than the people!) is Fall. Purdue Football games, The Feast of the Hunter's Moon, hayrides and hot dog roasts, Brown County, the Fall smell in the air...I could go on and on.

We simply do not have the greatest Falls in Colorado. (Excepting the briefest period during the season when the Aspen trees change to golden...so pretty but so brief.) Anyway, two of my greatest Colorado Fall comforts are yummy Fall-ish food, and those fabulous Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks (soon, dear ones...does anyone know the actual date they start selling these babies?)

Back to the story at hand.

So, I made an impromptu trip to the grocery store this afternoon. I was hungry, and you know they say that you should never shop for food while you are hungry. I also noticed some very large storm clouds rolling in and could practically smell the rain in the air. So I picked up a few apples so that I could make one of my favorite Autumn comfort treats--Apple Crisp!

Doesn't it look deliciously golden and crispy? Now, look closely at the opposite corner...
...while it was still piping hot I just couldn't resist a few smallish bites. So fresh out of the oven I even burned my tongue, a small price to pay. It will taste even better with vanilla bean ice cream later this evening! Yum.

Last weekend we had a block party. A huge success thanks to a couple of our awesome neighbors. Lance was (of course,) out of town, so I dared to take the kids by myself. Thank goodness they all still fit in the wagon, and one of the nice dads down the street threw our burgers on the grill with his family's so that we wouldn't starve. A good time was had by all.

So yes, I now consider that Fall is officially here and with that I may indulge in all of the tasty treats that will help me cope with our lack of seasonal changes. It also means that Christmas is right around the corner--Yippee!

4 comments:

The Norris Clan said...

Oh, that sounds SO good. Yes, Fall is definitely here. We had a horrible last couple weeks. Summer was here, then without a word, in ONE day, it was Fall. Boo. However, I LOVE Fall, and I am looking forward to the beauty. You should see our WA Falls. They are outstanding!

notes of em said...

im with you sister... fall, nothing beats it... ever....

Julie said...

The Pumpkin Spice Late's are here! Just thought you should know...I had one this morning!

Julie said...

The Pumpkin Spice Late's are here! I had one this morning!